The purpose of this post is to show a tutorial about creating a multilingual website in WordPress using the multisite feature.
Advantages of the proposed solution :
- Lots of flexibility for content translation and presentation of the articles in different languages
- Different themes based on country
- Search Engine Optimization
Step 1 : Creating multisite WordPress
Add the following line in wp-config.php.
define ('WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true);
This will activate a new option in the Dashboard: Tools -> Network Setup.
All that’s left is to follow the instructions.
Choose the default folder options in order to have urls of the following pattern www.monsite.com/fr/mapage.html
2 actions are necessary :
- Copy/Paste some code inside wp-config.php
- Copy/Paste some code inside .htaccess